PCL LinkDump: Audio / Visual findings on a more or less regular basis.
(Most Frequent) Labels:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Music lessons, part one: swing

I'm not sure how long this series will last, but let's give it another try to exert my obsession to teach people about music the online way. I will do my best to find a few guest teachers on youtube a.o.. The first one is Artie Shaw. He'll teach you everything there is to know about swing, at least according to Artie Shaw. Please pay attention to the vocal art of Helen Forrest (April 12, 1917 – July 11, 1999) at 4:08 and the fantastic piece of 'call response' right before crossing the finish.
By the way, this link was sent to me by my collegue Ineke Vlogtman who owns one of the most beautifull voices I've ever heard and knows how to play this instrument like no-one else can.

1 comments:

baikinange said...

Too bad there are no Gramercy Five or Roy Eldridge in this short....but great stuff nonetheless!