PCL LinkDump: Audio / Visual findings on a more or less regular basis.
(Most Frequent) Labels:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------

Monday, November 09, 2009

I'm Your Puppet

My radio focus these days consists of drive time sports chatter or the local oldies station that play the usual suspects (Beatles, Motown, Gloria Gaynor, etc.) Occasionally I'll slip in a treasured Baikinange CD on my piece of shit car stereo for some "culture", but basically I'm a lazy ass, content to mull over the merits of yesterday's hits and misses.

Driving home this evening, tired of hearing the "Bulldog" ragging on the Buffalo Bills, I flipped over to Legends 102.7 and caught the opening notes of one of my all time favorite tunes, "I'm Your Puppet".

Pull the string and I'll wink at you, I'm your puppet
I'll do funny things if you want me to, I'm your puppet......


From the all knowing Wikipedia
James & Bobby Purify were an R&B singing duo, whose biggest hits were "I'm Your Puppet" in 1966...."I'm Your Puppet" was written by Spooner Oldham plus Dan Penn and produced by Penn, who introduced Purify to Moore. The record spent 14 weeks in the U.S. chart, and sold an estimated one million copies. It was released in September 1966.

The duo continued into the 1980s, with no other big hits, but remained popular on the tour circuit.




The song was covered by a boatload of souless, white people including Donny Osmond, Elton John, The Box Tops and The Drive By Truckers. All fail miserably. Enjoy.

0 comments: