PCL LinkDump: Audio / Visual findings on a more or less regular basis.
(Most Frequent) Labels:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------

Friday, January 28, 2005

Flipside Magazine 1977

pcl2
MrBaliHai "This is the story of Flipside Magazine, at least it's the story as I remember it. Hey, it was a long time ago, and a lot of the brain cells I had back then have since died and been condemned to Brain Cell Hell. I attended high school in Whittier, California with 3 of the original contributors in this first issue: X-8, Tory, and Larry Lash. We all graduated in 1977. ...

... I sort of watched the proceedings from afar. I thought that Tory was a total jerk after he'd forced me to sing for hours at rehearsal without a microphone, then tried to boot me out of the band because I'd lost my voice. He also stiffed me on my share of the proceeds from playing the Whisky (he apologized to me two years ago). A couple months after the first issue came out, I talked Al into letting me take pictures at Brendan Mullen's club the Masque, but I got drunk and forgot to wind the film in my camera, so my career as staff photographer was short and unproductive. Eventually, I cleaned up my act, went to junior college for a couple of years, then moved to Wisconsin. ..."

Matt aka MrBaliHai shares his memories of the birth of the L.A. punk scene, and his personal involvement in the Flipside Magazine. (Here's the complete scanned no. 1).

0 comments: