PCL LinkDump: Audio / Visual findings on a more or less regular basis.
(Most Frequent) Labels:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Breaking Pop Hit News

pcl2
Kristof at Space Debris has found a record: "Here's one of my most recent flea market finds. I scored this a month ago from a seller who also had a pristine copy of James Last's Voodoo Party and - uh - I forget what else...Mostly I pass up oriental rekkids - you find them quite often and they hold very little of interest for me. Over the years I ended up with dozens of red Chinese operas and Taiwan catholic children choir 10"s. Last summer I threw the lot out and swore "NO MORE!"
But this here was clearly something different. A short skirted weightless bird grooving in a kaleidoscopic ball of light? The gatefold cover didn't have a meaningful word of English but I found the year '72 tucked somewhere near the bottom of the inner cover (next to Made In Japan) and decided to give it a shot. After all, Japan in '72 can hardly be compared to post-Cultural Revolution China.
Most likely, the LP served as a kind of promotional gadget - something you'd get at the yearly automobile fair when you bought that latest compact Datsun... I wonder if the people who got this ever played the record. By the looks of it they never touched it!
Johan Dada Vis would call this "ambitious easy listening" and that covers it nicely, I believe. I have this idea of Japan as the hippest place on earth and this LP confirms that notion. ..."
Arakawa Yasuo, Shiji Shiroo : Breaking Pop Hit News

0 comments: