PCL LinkDump: Audio / Visual findings on a more or less regular basis.
(Most Frequent) Labels:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Star 1973


I've decided to ring in the 2011 New Year with my own misguided version of public service: an online archive of a scandalous and short-lived 70's teen magazine! The first issue of Star hit the stands in February 1973. With its over-the-top advice and irreverent coverage of LA's teenage groupie scene, it wasn't long before Petersen Publishing was feeling the heat from "concerned citizens". Five issues and five months later, publication ceased. A sixth issue was planned but never printed. Such controversy along with coverage of "new breed" Sunset Strip groupies (Shray Mecham, Sable Starr, Lori Lightning, Queenie Glam) and glam venues like Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco cemented the mag's later cult status among fans and collectors.
Talk about public service! Go here now. The page-turning format is a bit tricky but hey, look at the work this guy did.

6 comments:

mrdantefontana said...

Fabulous! Thanks Donna!

Dick Cannon said...

Class. Nothing but class.

Donna Lethal said...

I can't stop going thru this...and just found the future Mrs. Tom Hanks (Rita Wilson) in one of the "advice columns."

Doc Cowboy said...

Every once in a while something pops up on the internet that truly surprises. This would be a missing link in post-hippie, pre-punk r'n'r culture from an angle that really wasn't covered all that well for at least another 20 years. Very cool, Thanks Donna!

Donna Lethal said...

Oh don't thank me - email the guy that bought and SCANNED all of these issues for us! What a guy.
Now I wonder what happened to Shray Mecham, cover girl extraordinaire.

Doc Cowboy said...

Well I can't say what happened to her, but I can say when I googled her name, half the sites she was tagged to were either attack sites or led me to some scary picture of a guys t'aint. ouch. There is a facebook page for her, but whether it is actually her remains to be seen. More and more Facebook creeps me the fuck out. I already have too many friends who would not know what I looked like if they stepped on my toe.