PCL LinkDump: Audio / Visual findings on a more or less regular basis.
(Most Frequent) Labels:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------

Thursday, April 07, 2011

The Mossi Files

I've been collecting cards since I was a knee high to a grasshopper (first and last use of that idiom). My earliest memories involved stuffing massive amounts of stale, dusted gum sticks into my pie-hole while thumbing through freshly opened wax packs, searching for the elusive Mantle or Mays only to be dealt your eighteenth Roger Repoz.

As an aging curmudgeon, I have, in recent years began to appreciate the "Ray Sadecki's" of the world - they had more blemishes than the matinee idol boys. These cards were more alluring than those prized ones that were free of dinged corners and not subject to defacing via the magic marker alchemy

These are the guys that looked like your Uncle Solly.

Here for consideration, are a few of my more admired selections:



3 comments:

Donna Lethal said...

YAY! I love when you post these, and it's a true sign that you have a great eye because I'm not a baseball fan at all and I really enjoy 'em. Make it a regular feature please!

Mark L. said...

Johnny Powers! Yes, I remember him.

John never made much of himself in the majors, but he was a big hit for the AAA-level Columbus Jets. He played outfield for the Jets for many years. He was an outstanding home run hitter He had a very weird batting stance, standing almost pigeon-toed at the plate. He was one of the best players for Columbus in the 1960's. A true Hometown Hero!!

baikinange said...

Howie Koplitz of the Washington Senators. Probably told his kids he was an accountant to save them from being embarrassed in school.