PCL LinkDump: Audio / Visual findings on a more or less regular basis.
(Most Frequent) Labels:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Old Mother Riley

Brit readers, bear with me. If you know your Kinks songs, you'll know that line. But most Americans aren't familiar with Mother Riley because these films were never shown here, well, not as far as I know. I first stumbled across them while working in a film archive. I couldn't believe it! Of course I loved the drag factor but Arthur Lucan was a physical comedy genius. There's a wiki page now, of course, so you can read more. Here's a long clip (I couldn't find a good shorter one) but there's plenty more on the youtubes.

And here's the Kinks doing "The Village Green Preservation Society" in 1973.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Old Mother Riley films were in constant rotation on late-night teevee in L.A. back in the 70s. "My Son, the Vampire" with Bela Lugosi instantly comes to mind.